Information on this site is not intended as medical advice and should not be used as a substitute for consulting with qualified doctor.
Trastuzumab is a recombinant humanised monoclonal antibody that selectively targets the extracellular domain of the Human Epidermal growth factor Receptor 2 protein (HER2). HER2 protein exists on normal cells and HER2+ tumor cells. It is believed to block downstream signaling pathways. Herceptin flags the tumor cell for destruction by the body's immune system, known as antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC).1
Herceptin prevents HER2 shedding.2
In Bangladesh Herceptin is approved for the following indications.3
- Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC)
- Early Breast Cancer (EBC)
- Advanced Gastric Cancer
For more disease and medicine related queries you may discuss with your physician.
In Bangladesh Herceptin is available as
Vials 440 mg (IV)
Vial 600 mg/5ml (SC)
1. Proposed Mechanism of Action, Herceptin MOA. [Internet; cited 2018, November 08]. Retrieved from https://www.herceptin.com/hcp/treatment/moa
2. Molina MA, Codony-Servat J, Albanell J, Rojo F, Arribas J, Baselga J. (2001). Trastuzumab (Herceptin), a humanized anti-HER2 receptor monoclonal antibody, inhibits basal and activated HER2 ectodomain cleavage in breast cancer cells. PubMed, Cancer Res. 61(12):4744-9. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11406546#
3. Herceptin Product Information _ FE-English Ro 45-2317 _ November 2018