Information on this site is not intended as medical advice and should not be used as a substitute for consulting with qualified doctor.
Trastuzumab is a recombinant humanised monoclonal antibody that selectively targets the extracellular domain of the Human Epidermal growth factor Receptor 2 protein (HER2). HER2 protein exists on normal cells and HER2+ tumor cells. It is believed to block downstream signaling pathways. Herceptin flags the tumor cell for destruction by the body's immune system, known as antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC).1
Herceptin prevents HER2 shedding.2
In Bangladesh Herceptin is approved for the following indications.3
Herceptin IV and Herceptin SC:
Metastatic Breast Cancer (MBC)
Herceptin is indicated for the treatment of patients with metastatic breast cancer who have tumors that overexpress HER2:
a) as monotherapy for the treatment of those patients who have received one or more chemotherapy regimens for their metastatic disease.
b) in combination with paclitaxel or docetaxel for the treatment of those patients who have not received chemotherapy for their metastatic disease.
c) in combination with an aromatase inhibitor for the treatment of patients with hormone-receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer.
Early Breast Cancer (EBC)
Herceptin is indicated for the treatment of patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer:
- following surgery, chemotherapy (neoadjuvant or adjuvant) and radiotherapy (if applicable).
- following adjuvant chemotherapy with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide, in combination with paclitaxel or docetaxel.
- in combination with adjuvant chemotherapy consisting of docetaxel and carboplatin.
- in combination with neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by adjuvant Herceptin, for locally advanced (including inflammatory) breast cancer or tumours > 2 cm in diameter.
Herceptin IV only:
Advanced Gastric Cancer
Herceptin in combination with capecitabine or intravenous 5-fluorouracil and a platinum agent is indicated for the treatment of patients with HER2-positive advanced adenocarcinoma of the stomach or gastro-esophageal junction who have not received prior anticancer treatment for their metastatic disease.
For more disease and medicine related queries you may discuss with your physician.
In Bangladesh Herceptin is available as
Vials 440 mg (IV)
Vial 600 mg/5ml (SC)
Be sure to contact your doctor if you:
Are a woman who could become pregnant, or may be pregnant
- If a patient becomes pregnant while receiving Herceptin, or within 7 months following the last dose of Herceptin, please immediately report pregnancy to the local Roche Adverse Event Line at
+8801766686086 and/ or
- Additional information will be requested during a Herceptin-exposed pregnancy and the first year of the infant’s life. This will enable Roche to better understand the safety of Herceptin and to provide appropriate information to health authorities, healthcare providers, and patients
- For additional information, please refer to Herceptin Product Information
Winning the battle against breast cancer
1. Proposed Mechanism of Action, Herceptin MOA. [Internet; cited 2018, November 08]. Retrieved from https://www.herceptin.com/hcp/treatment/moa
2. Molina MA, Codony-Servat J, Albanell J, Rojo F, Arribas J, Baselga J. (2001). Trastuzumab (Herceptin), a humanized anti-HER2 receptor monoclonal antibody, inhibits basal and activated HER2 ectodomain cleavage in breast cancer cells. PubMed, Cancer Res. 61(12):4744-9. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11406546#
3. Herceptin Product Information _ BD Ro 45-2317 _ December 2020