Information on this site is not intended as medical advice and should not be used as a substitute for consulting with qualified doctor.
Tamiflu (oseltamivir) is an antiviral drug. It works by attacking the flu virus to keep it from multiplying in our body and by reducing the symptoms of the flu. Tamiflu can sometimes keep us from getting the flu if we take it before we get sick.1
The term "flu" refers to illness caused by the influenza virus. The flu is a respiratory infection that can cause symptoms such as fever, chills, aches and pains, cough, and sore throat. The flu can range from mild common cold symptoms to the typical "flu" symptoms described above, to life-threatening pneumonia and other complications, including secondary bacterial infections.1
In Bangladesh Tamiflu is approved for the following indications.2
- treatment of influenza in adults and children including full-term neonates.
- prophylaxis of influenza in adults and children ≥1 year of age.
For more disease and medicine related queries you may discuss with your physician.
In Bangladesh Tamiflu is available as
Capsule 75 mg
The term, Treatment is used when a person is given a medicine because they have the signs and symptoms of the disease or have been diagnosed with the disease. Treatment with Tamiflu has been shown to lessen the amount of time people are sick with the flu.3
Prophylaxis is the prevention of disease. The term is used when someone who does not have any symptoms is given a medicine to help stop them from getting the disease because they are exposed to or come into close contact with someone who has the disease and able to spread it to others.3
1. Tamiflu: Consumer Questions and Answers, Q. What is Tamiflu and what is it approved for? [Internet; cited 2019, March 24]. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm188859.htm
2. Tamiflu Product Information _ FE-English Ro 64-0796 _ May 2018
3. Adopted from: Tamiflu: Consumer Questions and Answers, Q. What do the terms treatment of the flu and prevention (prophylaxis) of the flu mean? [Internet; cited 2019, March 24]. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm188859.htm